Friday, October 31, 2008

Diwali: A Couple of Days Spent Relaxing and in the Hawking Zone of Colaba

Everywhere in Mumbai, it’s evident that Diwali is in full force. Many thresholds are decorated with the tell-tale colours and symbols of holiday festivities.





Even the Taj President Hotel is lit up by night in a Pepto-Bismol shade of fuchsia.



Like most Indians we had Tuesday off for Diwali, so my two roommates and I took the Hindu holiday to visit a Muslim mosque. On the way to the train station, we were greeted by street kids who were happy to speak a little English with us. Eating popsicles and armed with orange plastic guns, they posed for a shot in front of a bus stop near Mahim Station.



Although it was sweltering and upwards of 34 degrees C, I was glad to finally get the opportunity to visit Haji Ali, one of Mumbai’s oldest mosques right on the sea.
The mosque is like something out of a movie. (Actually, Bollywood often opens some of its films with Haji Ali in the backdrop.)

No photos were allowed inside the mosque, so I just have this one of me with Annika as we covered our hair prior to entering. Shivapriya had already made her way into the mosque. This pic makes me laugh.



Later that night I met up with Avantika and her landlord, who is a member at the exclusive President Radio Club in Colaba and who invited us to join her and her family for dinner. The food was fabulous, and so were the fireworks.



On the way home I took some long exposure shots to show the hot night, Churchgate Station at 10 p.m. from inside my train car, and a view from the train window out into Mumbai from where I sat, first class men’s compartment, more for safety than out of loneliness.




No comments: